Saturday, August 4, 2012

Maneous Things and a Finished U.F.O.!

Soundtrack of the day: From Now On by the Features

Holy moly! a lot has happened in a month!
Let me back up a bit and let me let you know what's been going on. :)

So a while ago I did an embroidery hoop for a craft swap I was in on Craftster.org. The theme of the swap was for the upcoming movie the Hunger Games. Of course, all of us had read the books and so I chose something out of the book to create from.
This is what I made:


It's made of lots of different scraps of fabric, many buttons and glow in the dark thread for the words. I really had a great time making it. And now it's up for sale in my shop! www.etsy/mywyldchild.com


I've also been busy working on some things for the children's section of my shop as it is back to school time! And, wouldn't you know it, my oldest is starting Kindergarten! What the heck! Where did the time go? Consequently she starts her first sport (soccer) on Tuesday. Craziness. Anywho, here's what I've just finished upcycling:


Check out the print. Friggin' adorable, right?

I finished those up and then I decided I should finish my most daunting U.F.O.: UnFinished Object.

Friends, when I first got my sewing machine about 3 years ago, one of the things I wanted to make was a dress for myself. Definitely easier said than done. I had no idea on how to really follow a pattern, how the heck to finish edges, or - more importantly - choose the right size. Believe me, I measured myself, got the pattern I thought would fit and began cutting and sewing. I was loving it. Not so much the ironing, but still. I spent hours. I sewed a few sides together wrong. I picked out stitches. I sewed the wrong facings together. I picked out more stitches. Then, blessedly and after many hours and hours, behold! A dress!

At this point, I am giddy with excitement. I have just completed one of the most awesome things I have ever had the courage to take under. Since I have no dress form (still *sigh*) I go and change into it. It feels a little loose. Not terrible. I go and check in the mirror. It is a tent. I decide to end my sudden depression by taking it off and then taking a few days off.

Finally, after more than two weeks, I pick it back up and rip out the back panel. I figured I would just cut it down a few inches on the sides. I do. Still too big. I rip out the side panels and do the same. Still too big and now my boobs just look strange and mishapen in it. There was no way I was gonna spend more hours ripping out the front paneling when I've already got the buttons and button holes on, nor the sleeves, which now don't match up to the paneling. I throw it all in a box and forget about it. For THREE whole YEARS!!!

I would look at that fabric I once loved and immediate anger would well up in me. I would always skip over it in favor of a newer, happier fabric for a new and not irritating project.
That ended yesterday when I pulled her out of the box. I was no longer angry, just sad. I definitely didn't want to tackle ripping stuff out and refitting it together. Also, I weigh less now than I did before and it would just dredge up bad memories. So, I cut my losses. And the entire top off of the dress. I followed no pattern this time and just went with what I liked and flew by the seat of my skirt, so to speak.

There were two half portions of the top left on so I ripped them out and just stitched the sides closed. That left me a lot of skirt fabric to deal with that I didn't want to pull out either. So, I added some "hidden" pockets! Who doesn't love a skirt with pockets? I stitched up the bottom section of buttons because I knew I would never undo every single one and I didn't like the little corners always separating. Then I folded over the top and made my waist band.

And I love it! My brand new high waisted, pocket skirt!






I think that's about it for today! I've been working on tons of Fall stuff, too, but that will definitely have to wait for another post ;). Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment